Like me!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More alphabet soup and painting a Poopcaso!

Howdy folks. Probably by now you've been thinking "Yeah that ole kidney bean has probably chickened out". No, the process is just slow.

I cut myself shaving this morning and air started leaking out......

Not really. Wouldn't be surprised if it did though.I have had a lot of blood taken out this week. I've just completed the next steps in this process which is more lab work up of my blood. Here's the list of what's being checked....

  1. CBC/Platelets
  2. Comprehensive Metabolic Profile
  3. Lipid Panel
  4. HEP B Surface AG
  5. HEP B S AB
  6. HEP B Core AB
  7. HEP B Core - IgG, IgM, Total Ab
  8. HEP C PCR - (Quantitative)
  9. HEP C AB
  10. CMV - IgG
  11. EBV (Epstein Barr Virus)
  12. VZV IgG (Varicella-Zoster Virus)
  13. HIV 1/2
  14. RPR
  15. PSA (males)
  16. 2 Hour Glucose Test (Oh yeah, finally something I understand)
And also, the necessary mention of .....
  1. Stool for Occult Blood
  2. 24 hour urine collection
Before this round of tests, I had to fast for 12 hours. First came the six vials of blood to analyze for various components of the alphabet (see above). Once that was done the glucose test started. Basically this involves sucking down some syrupy sweet orange drink and then having your blood drawn 1 hour later and then again 2 hours later. I thought I was going to pass out, but overall it wasn't bad.

On the way out I was given an orange plastic jug and was told to collect my urine for 24 hours. Skip the morning's first evacuation and then collect every stream for 24 hours. I thought I might have a problem with filling it up but I do love my coffee so no problem there. The rules are, you have to refrigerate it. The reason for the collection is to check for creatinine clearance and protein.

Also, there's the matter of the stool samples which these days involves taking a brush and painting an improptu "Poopcaso" on cotton panels. They're just looking to make sure there's no blood.

Now if all of this wasn't interesting enough, I also donate blood platelets every month and I was scheduled to donate the next day, something I did with enthusiasm.

I am somehow wishing that this blog would be more exciting (like my effervescent regular blog writing) but somehow I just don't seem to muster it. 

You might be wondering who I am and the only reason I have kept my identity a secret is that I have to have time to break this news to people about why I am doing this.

I have done that. I just have one last thing I need to do before coming out with everything and I promise to do that soon.

I see this donation as a very matter of fact thing. If you can save a life and live perfectly fine by giving something up  why not?

Stay tuned,
Kidney Bean


No comments:

Post a Comment